I'm Keith Laing, and I report on automotive news, conduct vehicle reviews and write consumer advice for USA TODAY. If you have topic suggestions, consumer advice, maintenance questions or general queries, you can reach me at klaing@usatodayco.com.
|
What I look for when testing new cars |
I've reviewed seven cars so far this year, including most recently the in-demand Toyota RAV4 plug-in hybrid. The list of cars I've reviewed spans gas-powered and hybrid, two and three-row SUVs and sporty sedans.
|
In each case, I put myself in the position of a consumer who is test driving a car for the first time, or a person who is renting a vehicle for a few days. I look for functionality and practicality that I would seek in my own personal car. I test how easy it is to connect my phone to the vehicle and how intuitive it is to navigate around the ever-increasingly large touchscreens.
|
The first time I drive a new car I'm testing, I notice how the engine sounds – or doesn’t in the case of hybrids and electrics. I pay attention to how the vehicle handles in street and highway driving. I note how sturdy it feels when I'm turning the steering wheel and how quickly the car accelerates to appropriate speeds.
|
As a father of young children, I also pay attention to how large the back seats are, how much cargo room there is behind them and how easy it is to fold second or third-row seats to create extra trunk space.
|
Every brand-new vehicle is unique, and I'm developing a list of my favorites. Shoot me an email and let me know your favorite new cars of the year!
|
Take a spin through this week in cars |
Laura Dennis, a retired Army nurse from Waynesville, Missouri who owned a Tesla Model 3 and was considering buying a Cadillac Lyric, replied to a story I wrote recently about lawmakers in Congress considering establishing a new EV fee that would cost drivers as $150 annually to help pay for road improvements saying enough is enough.
|
"As a EV owner am getting screwed Big time- my state charges me an additional 155 dollar fee now, plus my yearly registration fee!" Dennis wrote to me after the story was published. "Now the federal government want another 155 dollars = over 300 dollars. I drive less than 6000 miles a year being retired."
|
"Enjoyed reading your article on cars under 40K," Pillera wrote. "Just bought a 2026 Ford Mustang on Saturday for $39,756. Great fun car. The car is sad it did not make your list. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Keep up the good work."
|
We're working on a story about how AI is changing the car buying process, and we'd love to hear from you. How has AI helped or hurt you when car shopping? Are there any red flags you try to avoid?
|
Also, what do you look for when buying or renting a car?
|
|
We drove two of the best new midsize three-row SUVs for 2026. Here's where each comes out on top.
|
|
|
|
The best electric sedans of 2026 so far range from affordable to sporty options. Here are our top electric sedan picks of the year so far.
|
|
|
|
Some popular car models have been discontinued in recent years with Nissan, Porsche and BMW among the manufactures letting models go. See some here.
|
|
|
|
U.S. regulators announced plans to consider new rules for emergency release systems on the doors of cars following a spate of fiery Tesla crashes.
|
|
|
|
Keith Laing of USA TODAY Cars explores features of the 2026 Toyota RAV4 plug-in hybrid car, highlighting its performance, technology, and cargo space.
|
|
|
|
Tesla's CEO, Elon Musk, pushes towards an autonomous future for the company while concerns arise following an increase in crashes involving its automated driver assistance systems.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Sign up for the news you want
|
Exclusive newsletters are part of your subscription, don’t miss out! We’re always working to add benefits for subscribers like you.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Belum ada tanggapan untuk "Cars: Here's what I look for when testing cars"
Posting Komentar